Stanislaus County Board of Supervisors
General Rules Regarding the
Policy of the SCL System
Board Order No. 2006-248
- The administration of the County Library by the County Librarian and the Operation of the County Library system shall be subject to the provisions of sections 19160 and 19146 of the California Education Code.
- All actions of the Library shall support the mission of the Library "to foster the love of reading and open the door to knowledge."
- A founding principle of the Library is to provide free access to information and ideas and to be a forum for the free exchange of information.
- To affirm the commitment made to the public through their support of Measure P (1/8 cent sales tax
initiative), the Library shall:
- maintain Countywide library hours
- provide purchase of new books
- provide access to technology
- maintain story times
- provide programming for children and teens
- provide reference services
- provide other library programs
- Library programs shall be educational and complement other Library services by providing an opportunity to highlight Library collections, promote Library services and broaden the knowledge of its customers.
- The Library shall partner with community-based organizations and other agencies to promote literacy within Stanislaus County.
- Guidelines for the development of Library programs are established within the context of the Library's strategic plan and objectives, and shall be consistent with the commitments made to the public for Measure P.
- All contracts and agreements for County Library programs shall clearly define the contractor's responsibilities and the educational value of the program.
- All advertising for Library programs and services shall provide an accurate representation of the educational benefits of the respective program or services.