Graffiti and Cruising
About This Collection
The Graffiti Collection includes images relating to cruising, drive-ins, and local car culture, especially from the period of 1946-1962. This period is considered the classic era of cruising, as depicted in George Lucas’ film American Graffiti.
Al's Drive-in at 708 McHenry Avenue
Burge’s Drive In was located at 1514 9th Street. It opened in 1947 and closed in 1967.
Burge’s Drive In was an example of the circular Streamline Moderne-style drive ins.
This photo was taken for the boosters’ advertisement section of the 1948 Buccaneer year book for Modesto Junior College.
Cruising was still popular in the 1970s.
A group of cruisers stopped at McHenry Village in 1970.
Felix’s Drive In was located at 203 McHenry Avenue in Modesto.
Oakdale artist Betty Saletta created the statue of two teenagers on the fender of a ’57 Chevy. The statue celebrates the career of George Lucas, his film American Graffiti, and Modesto’s heritage of cruising.
On March 27, 1990 the City of Modesto passed anti-cruising and anti-loitering ordinances.